Thursday, August 5, 2010

Baking Day: Blueberry Lavender Muffins

I have a confession to make: I eat breakfast for dinner all. the. time.  Perhaps as often as once a week.  I love all things breakfast (I'm talking real breakfast here, not a bowl of frosted flakes) and it's just so easy to throw together and tastes so delicious that I find myself cooking Brinner all the time.  This week was no different.  On the menu: blueberry muffins.


Muffin-plate

Sliced-muffin

I'm warning you in advance: these things are highly addicting.  You won't be able to eat just one.  I've adapted the recipe slightly from one found in Gourmet.

Blueberry Lavender Muffins

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 3/4 cup lavender sugar

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted


  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk

  • 1 egg plus 1 yolk

  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla

  • 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

  • TOPPING:


    • 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced

    • 1/2 cup all purpose flour

    • 3 1/2 tablespoons lavender sugar




Preheat oven to 375*F.  Prepare muffin pans.

Prepare topping:


  • Using your finger tips, rub 3 tablespoons diced cold unsalted butter into 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 3 1/2 tablespoons lavender sugar until pea-sized crumbs form.  Set aside.


Prepare muffins:


  • Whisk together flour, lavender sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Set aside.

  • In a separate bowl, mix melted butter, milk, egg, yolk and vanilla.  Pour wet ingredients into reserved dry ingredients and stir just until combined (don't over mix).  

  • Fold in blueberries.

  • Divide evenly among 10 muffin cups.  Sprinkle with crumb topping.

  • Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.

  • Cool 15 minutes before removing from pans. 


{images by me}





2 comments:

  1. Arg! I should have tried one when I had the chance! If you have any left, they sound super delicious!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! The lavender sugar is delicious, isn't it? I've used it mostly on breakfast foods . . . oatmeal . . . fruit. So far my favorite is tart raspberries. Maybe I'll have to try these muffins now!

    ReplyDelete