Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bloom 101: Grape Hyacinth

I've been thinking to myself for some time now about how much I love flowers but how little I know about them.  I wish them permanent residence in every room of my home - but what kinds?  When should I look for them?  And how should I arrange them?  I know I'm not the only one with such questions, so I'm setting out to answer them.  Each week I'll feature a different flower that's blooming at the time.  I'm starting out with grape hyacinth, which I found growing wild in my backyard just a few days ago.  Isn't it beautiful? 


Grape-Hyacinth-2


Grape-Hyacinth

Grape-Hyacinth-Card
The musky-grass fragrance is really divine; I love it.  It doesn't permeate the house, but you can really smell it when you get close to the bunch.

To make this adventure even more fun, I've made it so you can download this little gathering of floral information and print it on a 3x5 card (it'll print out on a full sheet of paper...trim it down to the marks for 3x5).  Paste each one in a pretty little journal and soon you'll have a guide any florist would envy.

I'm so excited to be starting this project; it's really such fun.  Lilacs and peonies are next in queue.  Which flowers would you like to see?  Please share!

{images by me}



 



2 comments:

  1. I'd LOVE to learn more about flowers! I'm jealous you have such beauties in your backyard. Lovely pictures, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They remind of blue bonnets - the state flower of Texas. We always loved the fields full of wild Blue Bonnets. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete