Monday, May 24, 2010

Let's Play Outside Birthday Theme

Hello, again!  How was your weekend?  I'm sorry for my absence on Thursday and Friday - as I mentioned on Monday, it was a very busy week and the weatherman wasn't helping me out any.  When I made the invitations for my son's third birthday party - which was scheduled for Saturday - the weather was predicted to be sunny and 80 degrees; perfect weather for an outdoor party.  By the time Wednesday rolled around, however, it'd been changed to 55 degrees and rain.  So we had to bump the party up to Friday afternoon and I had to start working double time to get everything ready for it!  And today I can show you all the details.

Brady loves playing outside so this year we decided to base his party on an outdoor theme.  For the invitations I first spent an afternoon collecting items at the park with my son: pine cones, grasses, leaves, etc.  I then arranged them to look like letters and hand drew each one.  Then, using the computer I pieced each together to create the wording I needed for the invitations and, later, the rest of the party details.


Outside-Birthday

We hosted the birthday party beneath some trees at our park, right near a
little pond that's home to a family of ducks.  We hung bunting from the
trees to mark our little spot and set up a small table with all the
party goods right beneath it.  Blankets were spread on the grass for the
children to sit on while they ate from their own little picnic box
(full of muffins, cheese, apples and a drink).  We played games like
duck-duck-goose and a nature scavenger hunt.  Then the kids colored
paper sails for their walnut
boats
and set them afloat on the pond. 

The cake was chosen months in advance and my son was beyond excited
about it.  We made a rainbow cake, each layer being a different
color.  It turned out beautifully and was also an excellent way to teach
colors and color combinations as my son and I mixed the dye into the
layers together.


Favors consisted of a bag full of bubbles, sidewalk chalk and a
leaf-shaped rice krispie treat.  And I packaged little kraft boxes full
of bits of bread for the kids to feed the ducks with while they waited
for their parents to come get them.


Outside-Birthday-2

The party was a success and well worth all the effort put into it.  Planning children's birthday parties may well be the most entertaining project out there.

{images by me}



6 comments:

  1. That is so incredible! So simple and perfect for a kids' party! You sure make it look easy, but I know there was tons of work put in! Truly amazing. You should hire yourself out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was an incredible party. You put so much thought and detail into each part. It was heaven for all the little boys and girls. I even enjoyed it myself, and not to mention that tasty cake. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad we missed out on such a creative and fun party! Everything looks fabulous, especially that rainbow cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rainbow cake looks amazing! Do you have the recipe? April x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice job you did with this party! The font that you used was terrific and I love the idea of getting kids outside to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "feed the ducks" concept just blew my mind. It totally eluded me that you can still entertain the kids, even while they were waiting for their parents. The rainbow cake turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete