Tuesday, January 25, 2011

DIY: Groundhog Day Cupcakes

"What holiday is next?" is a question I get asked quite a lot.  Brady's at the age where he's starting to understand holidays and the anticipation surrounding them.  And, of course, he's ready to party all the time.  So when he posed this question after New Year's I had to pause and think for a second...yep, Groundhog Day is next.  


Now, Groundhog Day doesn't carry very many traditions with it, beyond looking for good ole' Phil on the news.  But I thought that this year maybe we could do something a little more.  We've been reading The Big Snow at our house and on the last page the groundhog pokes his head out of the ground and sees his shadow.  Which gave me the idea to make Groundhog Day Cupcakes.


Groundhog-Day-Cupcakes


I designed the cupcake toppers and made them into a PDF for you to download and assemble.  Just print the groundhogs, cut them out and sandwich them together with a little glue and a toothpick in the middle.  And remember to save one of your groundhog paper trimmings.  You're going to need it if he sees his shadow this February 2nd...


Cupcakes


Steps-1-and-2
Cocoa-Dusting


Step-3
Cupcake-Toppers


Step-4


Shadow-or-Not
Groundhog-Day-Cupcakes-Back


If it happens to be cloudy on February 2nd and Phil doesn't see his shadow, you can always just slide the groundhog into a plain frosted cupcake.  They'll be just as adorable.  And such a great excuse to eat cupcakes.


What do you do to celebrate Groundhog Day?  Any predictions as to whether or not spring will come early this year?



8 comments:

  1. Those are awesome. I've been thinking about watching Groundhog day this year (that's about the only tradition we have...and we don't do it every year). The cup cakes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for combining my husband's 2 favorite things - food and Groundhog Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard about Groundhog day and will google for it.
    Your cupcakes are lovely... What kind of frosting have you used?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative! I think you can turn just about any occasion into a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Our mutual friend Sarah, who lives in St. George, introduced me to your blog and I love it! Love this idea...we're a big Groundhog Day celebrating family, so this will be great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I found you on Twitter thru Kelly Roach.
    I'd love for you to join us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    http://hoosierhomemade.com/easy-valentine-cupcakes-cupcake-tuesday/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, re-blogged here:
    http://blueskiesblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/happy-groundhog-day.html
    I love celebrating every little holiday throughout the year. Like did you know February 5th is National Weatherperson's Day and February 17th is Random Acts of Kindness Day!
    Blue Skies,
    Charlotte xo

    ReplyDelete