Tuesday, February 1, 2011

DIY: Glassine Birth Announcements

Just a little while ago I came across a challenge to create a DIY birth announcement.  A new packet of glassine bags was sitting in my cupboard, just itching to be used so I put them to work in these very easy, but very sweet birth announcements.  


Closed


Open


Layered


Just type up the announcement text using your favorite fonts and print it out straight onto the bag.  Then slide your favorite picture of your little one inside and seal it with a little piece of patterned tape.  I would mail these out in colored envelopes, too, of course, so everyone will know just what a special piece of mail it is as soon as they lay eyes on it.



12 comments:

  1. You have such incredible ideas!!!!! Why aren't we neighbors???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an AWESOME idea--I might be using it for myself when July comes along...
    I also did a post on your Groundhog Day cupcakes on my blog...it's just so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! I never got round to sending announcements (my little one is 16 months now- too late?) but I will definitely keep this in mind, maybe for birthday invites?
    Blue Skies,
    Charlotte xo
    http://blueskiesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i definitely want to do this! what size pictures and glassine bags did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant idea, it is always great to receive a baby announcement, but getting to see a picture too is great. How much are these to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cheeky I'm glad you like it! I used a standard 4" x 6" photo inside a 4.5" x 6.75" glassine bag.
    @Joanne Making them yourself costs about $0.25 - $0.30/announcement. That makes it a pretty great DIY, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, it is not just a good idea but the price and cost to make has got to be worth it... a unique gift for a family member, made by you, something that money simple cannot buy me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea, it is the perfect thing to make and sell on a craft stall. Plus if you were wanting to, you could actually make a good profit from doing a project of this nature. Love the cards they are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant idea, I think birth announcements are a fabulous idea and this is so simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to make this, but I cant quite get my printer to print on the bag :( It does not like the bags. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you ever be willing to make some money by making these for me!? I would pay for supplies and your time and shipping! Let me know what you think:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Which fonts did you use for this example? It is very nice.

    ReplyDelete